Tuesday, December 27, 2011

                                               CHALLENGE #6


                           
                        this painting by William Harnett was chosen by Rhonda Myers

This challenge deviated a little from our other challenges, in that a painting by William Harnett was chosen to interpret. It is our first still-life. What a wonderful idea! Take the theme of a favorite artist and paint your own view. What amazed me the most, is how we chose to use this painting for our own view.

I was the first entry. I used this paintng with the objects as a source, and changed the colors a bit. As you can see, I added a "sprite" (fairie) hovering over the grapes.  My sprite is grabbing the red grape (also a change from the original), as it's color and glow attract her the most. I have taken many a scene that I have photographed and painted it with my sprite creations. (See my web site www.PaintingsbyLinda.net  and click on Mystical). I used very bold color.


Linda Gilbert
"The Choice"
Acrylic on Canvas   11 x 14
www.PaintingsbyLinda.net



Rhonda Myers, did a wonderful painting. Her colors are soft and delicate. Rhonda added these lovely flowers in the bowl that gave this still -life a whole different feel than what I did. We will have to hear from Rhonda what her intentions were when she painted this beautiful painting.

Rhonda Myers


Just entered on Facebook the wonderful painting by Arthur Anderson. He did not go too far from the original still life. The colors and the warmth of the painting are so pleasing and relaxing to look at. The glow of the light is fabulous. This certainly does look "old world" as Artie expressed on Facebook.

Arthur Anderson
"Still Life Simplified
16 x 20 Acrylic




WE LOOK FORWARD TO MORE ENTRIES FOR CHALLENGE #6. IF YOU HAVE A PAINTING THAT YOU DID FROM THIS CHALLENGE, PLEASE SUBMIT IT TO FACEBOOK :PAINTINGS BY LINDA PAGE:
         https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Paintings-by-Linda/365237511760

INCLUDE YOUR NAME,TITLE OF PAINTING,MEDIUM AND SIZE......AND ANYTHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO SAY ABOUT THE PAINTING. WE WILL POST IT IN THE CHALLENGE #6 ALBUM AND ON THIS BLOG!




                  



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comments, Linda.

    On the entries: I like the way you chose to crop closely on three elements. Your "choices" are clearly defining you as an artist. I especially like the way you rendered the blue honeypot, rope and all. The grapes have a mystical quality, even without the sprite. (Does she have a name?). Again, Chagall is nodding in approval at your style!

    Rhonda has a definite style that I both recognize and enjoy. She is capable of creating shapes that are both well defined, yet almost "Cubist" in their execution. In this case, her color choices -- yellow and purple theme -- she handles beautifully. Her pinkish-lilac flowers, and choice of lemon over coconut, fit perfectly with her color scheme. Good job, Rhonda!

    My goal was to simplify AND use a master's palette to force me toward an old world look. The most major structural change was the honeypot, which I decided to do simply, and forgo the rope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did not name my sprite. Various ones appear in my Mystical Series----which are ordinary situations with them about. I enjoy adding a bit of mystical thought to my paintings. Thanks for the nice review Artie! By the way- Chagall is one of my favorite Artists---can you tell?????

    ReplyDelete