Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Working With Acrylics

Acrylic Paints were introduced in the 1950's. It is known as the "youngest" of all the media choices. Oil and water color paints have been used since the 15th century. The Modernists (Robert Motherwell, Mark Rothko) were the first to use Acrylic Paint. It's fast drying properties made it very attractive. Today it is used widespread for all aspects of Art. Liquitex was the first water-based paint.

I use Acrylic Paint as my main medium. Occasionally, I will do an Oil Painting, (love using water-soluble oils), but Acrylic Paint is my mainstay. (See my web site:  www.PaintingsbyLinda.net.)
The class that I teach, is  Acrylic Painting-giving Artists the chance to experience it's properties and quick satisfaction of a finished or semi-finished painting in the 2 hour class time.

The aspect that I like best about Acrylic Painting is the quick dry and bright colors that it offers.  I like the flexibility while it is wet, producing oil like effects. I enjoy the freedom of starting thin and layering the paint to obtain any thickness that is desired. I have been asked by viewers of my Acrylic Paintings, "Is this oil?"

Many painters are discouraged when they first use Acrylic paint because they use too much water.  Water kills the color. Water can be substitute with mediums that are compatible with Acrylics to achieve more color. Quite honestly, I work only with water, and more concentration of paint, gives me the desired vibrant color.  I coat my finished canvas with Liquitex Gloss Medium and Varnish to give an extra vibrant effect.

Acrylic is great for Plein Air Painting.  All you need to carry besides the paint and brushes is a coffee can with water (make sure the coffee is used up first!!!!) for your thinner.

We do not yet know if Acrylics will stand the test of time-that in 50-100 years from now the paint will last or deteriorate. However, there is no reason to believe that this will happen!

What are your experiences with Acrylic Paint?  would love the feed-back on this.!

http://www.paintingsbylinda.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment